Annual Homeowner Association (HOA) meetings are crucial to keeping the community informed and involved. This delegated time provides residents the opportunity to come together to discuss and vote on important matters.
It’s important to create and follow an HOA annual meeting checklist to execute a successful meeting that covers all the necessary topics.
Overview of What Must be on the Checklist
The primary goal of an annual HOA meeting is to address significant topics that affect the community at large.
Monthly board meetings address smaller HOA matters that generally deal with the day-to-day administration of the association.
When preparing for the annual HOA meeting, consider including the following items in your meeting checklist:
- Major milestones or successes among the board or community
- Presentations by the board, its committees, and professionals involved in community business like accountants, contractors, and vendors
- Announcements about staff or management changes
- Proposals requiring residents’ approval
- Approval of the annual budget
Additional Things you may Want to Consider
Successful annual HOA meetings also involve thorough planning and preparation.
As you begin organizing the meeting, keep these logistics in mind:
- Date: When choosing a suitable time for your annual HOA meeting, pick a date and time that is most convenient for your residents, like after normal work hours or on the weekends. It’s also crucial you give residents enough time to pencil in the meeting. Most HOAs have the annual meeting on the calendar at least six to eight months in advance.
- Location: Of course, you want to ensure that the location of your meeting is in proximity to your community members. If there is a large enough common area within the neighborhood, consider hosting the meeting there. Otherwise, pick a fun venue or location nearby to host the meeting.
- Announcements: How are you going to notify residents about the annual meeting? While it’s generally required to notify each HOA member directly, it’s also essential to market the meeting other ways. Consider hanging reminders throughout common areas. If your HOA has a website or social media channels, you can also post announcements online.
- Agenda: Residents should also be notified of the annual meeting’s agenda beforehand. The bylaws likely describe any notice requirements the board or managers must comply with in advance of the annual meeting.
- Incentives: Incentives are extremely helpful to encourage residents to attend annual HOA meetings. Consider offering food or prizes at the meeting.
For more information on HOA annual meetings, you can refer to your homeowner association’s bylaws. These governing documents lay out the specific guidelines for HOA operations, including annual meeting requirements.
You can also get in touch with an experienced real estate broker who has a thorough understanding of the HOA annual meeting checklist.