There is great power in decorating. With the right decorative direction and execution, you can transform any house into a beautiful home.
While the task of decorating may seem daunting, the Luxury Living team is here to reassure you that with the right insight decorating a condo is a plausible and exciting adventure.
How to Start Decorating a Condo
Before decorating a condo, you want first to find inspiration. Doing research beforehand can help create a vision and plan for your space.
A great place to hunt for some decorating ideas for a condo is online. Sites like Pinterest and Apartment Therapy provide great visuals and articles to help point you in the direction to take your condo decoration. Be on the lookout for styles or ideas that catch your eye.
Once you have a good idea on the look or vibe you want for your condo, the next step is execution. This involves finding the right shops to purchase what you need and putting everything into place. Keep in mind that the more specific plan you have in place, the easier the execution.
Depending on your space and vision, there are many directions you can go with your condo decorating.
Condo Decorating Ideas for Your Living Room
The living room may be one of the most important spaces to decorate. This is the room where visitors gather and is often the first room people will see when they enter your condo.
To ensure an inviting living area that gives guests a great first impression, here are some condo decorating ideas for your living room:
- Furniture placement: The arrangement of your furniture may be one of the most essential steps of furnishing your living room. Be sure to choose a focal point for your furniture and create conversation areas that allow for easy traffic flow.
- Area rugs: To make your living room space pop, consider investing in a large area rug. A suitable rug can add character and dimension to a room. Make sure all of your furniture sits on the rug and try to leave 10-to-20 inches of bare space between the edge of the rug and the walls of the room.
- Artwork: Find some neat artwork to spice your living room and fill empty walls. Be sure the art is cohesive with the rest of your space. Also, keep in mind that you don’t have to empty your bank account for fun art pieces. Check out local vintage shops to find some affordable and eclectic pieces.
Small Condo Decorating Ideas
Limited space doesn’t have to mean limited decorating possibilities. If you’re trying to maximize a small space, there are plenty of tips and tricks to help decorate a small condo.
Here are some small condo interior design ideas to make the most of your area:
- More mirrors: Incorporating multiple mirrors into your living area can open up your space, making a small living room feel larger and more inviting. Plus, mirrors help reflect any and all light to brighten your room up.
- Keep the floor clear: With limited space, you don’t want to cram your floors with stuff. Go for floating pieces, such as wall shelves and hanging plants to help minimize clutter.
- Wall lights: Add a stylish touch and brighten up your small space by installing scones or wall lamps. This type of lighting is also a great way to avoid taking up valuable floor space.
- Floor-to-ceiling draperies: Hanging up long curtains right where your wall meets the ceiling will instantly add height to your condo and make your living room feel more spacious.
Decorating Ideas for Your Open Concept Condo
One of the advantages of living in a condo with an open floor plan are the endless opportunities to arrange and decorate your space.
If your space features spacious floor plans, take advantage of these open concept condo decorating ideas:
- Create distinct areas: With one large open room, it is important to divide this space into multi-functional areas. Consider creating a cozy corner or arranging your furniture to create separate spaces, such as an office space, dining room, and living area.
- Use area rugs to help divide spaces: To help create distinct areas of your condo consider using large area rugs throughout your space. This also adds a fun touch to your condo.
- Incorporate symmetry: With expansive areas, keeping the space symmetrical using large pieces of furniture helps create a balanced look. The symmetrical look also helps bring order to a large room.
- Use a monochromatic color scheme: As you begin decorating, pick one color that you want to incorporate in your space and won’t get sick of. Then feature this color in a variation of shades and tones throughout the space.
Modern Condo Interior Design Ideas
If you live in an urban condo building and want to optimize your contemporary space, modern condo decor is a must.
Check out these modern condo interior design ideas before you begin transforming your space:
- A white color palette: Not only does a white color palette create a sleek space, but it also helps make a small modern condo appear larger.
- Intense focal point: By incorporating an obvious focal point in your room, you can help enhance the overall look and feel of your space. Consider investing in a sleek centerpiece.
- Pop of color: Find a fun bright color to add a little excitement to your modern space. While you don’t want to detract from your focal point, you do want to brighten up your condo a bit.
- Dramatic light fixtures: Featuring unique light fixtures in your condo can immensely enhance modern feel. Find something funky that goes with the feel of your space and adds a fun touch.
How to Work With an Interior Designer for Condos
Consider teaming up with an experienced professional to help beautify your condo. Hiring an interior designer may alleviate stress or fear associated with decorating your space. It helps take some pressure off and allows an expert’s eye to help create a beautiful condo interior design.
If you decide to take advantage of an interior designer to implement your condo interior decorating ideas here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Set realistic expectations: Thanks to the reality home design shows, many of us may have some unrealistic expectations when it comes to decorating a home. Unfortunately, many home improvement projects do not happen overnight. They can take months and also may require more money than anticipated. Therefore, be sure to have a feasible budget and timeline when you meet with your interior designer.
- Take time to find the right fit: Before selecting your interior designer, do some research. Look into your potential hire’s portfolio to check out some of the designer’s styles and quirks. You may even want to interview him or her to ensure a good match.
- Communication is key: Throughout the entire design process, it is critical to discuss your needs and expectations with your designer openly. This allows you and the designer to stay on the same page in order to successfully execute the vision for your space.
Now that you have insight into decorating a condo unit, it may be time to begin your home transformation. If you are still in need of finding that perfect condo to decorate, contact an experienced broker today!